You do not require a doctor's sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less.

Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.


Evidence that you are sick

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (Statutory Sick Pay).

It is up to your employer to decide whether you are incapable of work. A medical certificate, now called a 'Statement of Fitness for Work’ (see below) from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.


How to request a 'Fit Note'?

If you require a 'Fit Note' for a new medical condition then a consultation with a doctor is required, please submit an eConsult (please use the links on the home page)

If you need a repeat / follow-on 'Fit Note' these can be requested via eConsult (Please use the links on the home page)


Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website